[-] I was 10 years old when I wrote my first short story, a horror tale entitled "House of the Dead". I've been writing in some form or fashion (prose, poetry, stage-plays, journals, blogs, screenplays, fan fiction, news articles, celebrity interviews, film reviews) ever since.
[-] While attaining my BA degree in Theatre at Minnesota State University; Moorhead (my degree focus was on stage acting and directing) I took play-writing and creative writing courses as well.
[-] I've been writing screenplays for the past 15 years. And other than the valuable input from trusted professionals who have crossed my path (as well as gifted friends) and one weekend class early on in this venture, I'm basically self-taught, picking up tips and suggestions along the way -- working to make my own writing better and cleaner. In 2019, I completed my 10th feature spec script (Mom Died).
[-] Since I entered my first film festival back in 2012, many of my scripts have won, placed or been selected (24 times to be exact) in various film festivals and script competitions. Here's that complete list:
- Mom Died: 2019 Creative Screenwriting Unique Voices Horror Genre WINNER
- Mom Died: 2019 Nightmares Film Festival Top 13 Finalist
- Mom Died: 2019 Screamfest Semi-Finalist
- Mom Died: 2019 Table Read My Screenplay - Austin Semi-Finalist
- Mom Died: 2019 FilmQuest Official Selection
- Christian Demons: 2018 FilmQuest Official Selection
- Christian Demons: 2018 Shriekfest Semi-Finalist
- The Costume People: 2017 FilmQuest Top Ten Finalist
- The Costume People: 2017 Shriekfest Quarter-Finalist
- The Costume People: 2017 NOLA Horror Film Festival Top Ten Finalist
- Spider Eaters: 2016 Screamfest Top Five Finalist
- Spider Eaters: 2016 FilmQuest Top Ten Finalist
- Spider Eaters: 2016 NOLA Horror Film Festival Top Ten Finalist
- Spider Eaters: 2016 Shriekfest Quarter-Finalist
- Spider Eaters: 2016 RIP Horror Film Festival Official Selection
- Furnish: 2016 FilmQuest Semi-Finalist
- Furnish: 2015 Shriekfest Semi-Finalist
- Furnish: 2015 Fright Night Film Festival Official Selection
- A. Family Portrait: 2014 World Series of Screenwriting Comedy Finalist
- Tonight I Shall Lease Your Soul (co-written with Chris McCaleb): 2013 Shriekfest Semi-Finalist
- Tonight I Shall Lease Your Soul (co-written with Chris McCaleb): 2013 Beverly Hills Film Festival Official Selection
- Me & Simon Baker: 2013 Hollywood Screenplay Contest Horror Finalist
- Me & Simon Baker: 2013 Cinestory Quarter-Finalist
- Me & Simon Baker: 2012 Beverly Hills Film Festival Official Selection
[-] In 2016, based on my Screamfest Top Five Finalist placement for my feature screenplay, Spider Eaters, I was approached by an independent film producer for a write-to-hire gig. I am currently developing a project with this company.
[-] In the second half of 2019, I was hired to pen a feature-length screenplay. I fulfilled the contract, and excitedly await further news about the piece's potential production.
[-] In 2018, my feature spec script, The Costume People, was optioned for production.
[-] My writing colleague, Crit Killen, uses my feature screenplay, Spider Eaters, as a teaching tool in his screenwriting course -- using the script as an example of proper story structure. In the past, he's taught screenwriting and film studies at UCLA, USC and at Brigham Young University. He currently teaches screenwriting and film production at Utah Valley University.
[-] I am currently working on my first TWO novels.
[-] From 2014 to 2018, I was a film critic for the online horror source, Horror Freak News, penning approximately 400 movie reviews and feature articles. The great thing about this experience, is that I am coming to your script with not only my personal writing background, but also from the perspective of a keen audience member and experienced film reviewer. When writing reviews, I offered praise where it was warranted, and all of my criticisms were backed with specific examples. It'll be the same with your scripts. But instead of "less-than pieces" to mar a completed film (where story problems can't be addressed at such a late stage) you can fix any shortcomings now, before it goes into production! Here is a link to my film review / feature articles archives.
[-] I continue to pen an occasional film review for Tom Holland's Terror Time.
[-] Two of my horror film essays have been published in physical form.